Saturday, September 25, 2010

Orbitor One repair

At the end of our pinball party this summer, my Orbitor One developed a problem.
Locked balls would not be ejected anymore.
Probably a bad coil or loose wire I thought, I just switched off the game as it was near the end of the day.

Hadn't looked for a while at this game since, because a friend of mine had bought an Indiana Jones and wanted to shop and redecal it but didn't have room to do this on his appartment. So this Indiana Jones came to our gameroom, he took the playfield out to work on it at his place, and do the cabinet at our place.
No problem, he promised it would be done in about a week.

The first week he did come for a day or 2 to remove the existing cabinet decals.. but then the cabinet just stood there. All stripped parts of it were laying on top of Orbitor One's playfield glass.
What was going to be one week became almost 3 months.. 2 weeks ago the cabinet and associated parts finally left my gameroom. Time to look at this Orbitor coil problem !

None of the coils worked, replaced a fuse underneath the playfield. Game worked again but the fuse blew when the upkicker coil was activaed.

The upkicker coil did look a bit burnt, the wrapper was a bit brown.
Coil was bad I thought, so I'll just replace it.

That was easier said than done. Seems it's not a common coil, it's a little bit smaller than regular coils (like used in slingshots and other assemblies).
So while I had coils with the same wiring/turns, they didn't fit physically.
After searching through all my spare parts I finally did find a coil that was identical.

Removing the assembly was also not easy. You see, the Orbitor One playfield is built up in several layers. At the bottom there's a large piece of wood where most assemblies mount on to. Then there's the molded and painted plastic and on top the curved clear plastic. The assembly I needed to remove was mounted onto the wooden part but the top part of it (where the ball rests on, with switch to detect the ball goes all the way through the plastic playfield).
Furthermore, the assembly may be totally at the edge of the playfield (and you can reach it well when the playfield is raised out of the cabinet), the screws are all mounted on the inside. So when you stand on the side of the cabinet it's difficult to reach the screws.



You have to raise the playfield in vertical position and reach it from the bottom side, but then you can't see what you're doing as you're working through a hole in the bottom wood board.. aargh.

After a while I was able to remove the assembly and replace the coil.
Worst thing of all, the old coil looked a bit burnt but when I measured it's resistance, it still turned out to be fine. Weird.

Replaced the fuse under the playfield (as that was blown). Swithed the game on, played some games, suddenly the fuse blew again ?!
Replaced it again, and now I clearly saw what the 'slow' type of fuses do - because when I switched on the game I immediately saw the wire inside the fuse glow, but the fuse didn't blow.
Anyway, continued testing the coils, played a few games, activated a lot of coils together (let the drop target banks reset simultaniously).
The game works fine, the fuse didn't blow anymore.

I have no idea what cause this fuse to blow.. maybe some other part may be at the edge of breaking down, but it wasn't the coil I replaced.
I'll see how this game behaves in the future, if the fuse blows again or if something else breaks..

No comments:

Post a Comment